Just last year, my dear friend Jasmine's 5-year old Mio was diagnosed with Leukemia. Learning about the news was heartbreaking, but seeing how many people reached out to their family was nothing short of amazing. As of the moment, Mio is getting better everyday, making us realize that there is, indeed, sunshine after the rain.
Now, another family member of mine is fighting this dreadful disease. My 15-year old cousin, Benjie, was diagnosed with Lymphoma just recently. Lymphoma is a cancer that begins in the lymphocytes of the immune system and presents as a solid tumor of lymphoid cells. It is treatable with chemotherapy, and in some cases radiotherapy and/or bone marrow transplantation, and can be curable, depending on the histology, type, and stage of the disease. Source: Wikipedia
Knowing that another person close to my heart has cancer saddens me but I am comforted by the fact that like Mio, he will get better. And like Mio, Benjie's struggle can inspire others, too.
As of now, Benjie already had three sessions of Chemotherapy. The doctor said his body is responding well, but he will need to complete at least six sessions to fully recover. One session costs Php140,000, and we are in dire need of financial assistance. I am humbly knocking on your kind hearts to support our fund raising projects, which are the ff:
1. We Can Help Benjie CD
Spearheaded by my brother, Paulo, this is a music compilation CD of local indie artists. The CD contains the ff original tracks:
1. Penguin627 - "Save Me" (http://www.penguin627.com)
2. Nevermind - "Escalator" (http://nevermindmusic.mult
3. I-ray - "Safe" (http://iraymusic.multiply.
4. Reklamo - "Beunique" (http://www.blasterteam.com)
5. Lochness - "Destination Alone" (http://www.myspace.com/loc
6. Shut Eye View - "Tara Na" (http://shuteyeview.multipl
7. Deo of Crude Oz - "Shine" (http://www.myspace.com/cru
8. Trapeze - "Soldiers" (http://www.myspace.com/tra
9. Giniling Festival - "Barbero" (http://www.facebook.com/gi
10. Odat - "Unlitxt" (http://www.blasterteam.com)
11. HedgeZero - "Ode" (http://hedgezero.multiply.
12. My Odessa - "Black and Blue" (http://www.blasterteam.com)
13. Paramita - "Bitag" (http://www.blasterteam.com)
A copy costs Php150 (exclusive of shipping), which will go directly to Benjie's hospital fund. To order, simply send an email to Paulo Rodriguez at email@example.com with the SUBJECT: CD ORDER and include the ff details--Name, Mailing address, Mobile Number, and Quantity. He will get in touch with you re payment and other questions/concerns that you may have.
2. Garage Sale for a Cause
We started a garage sale last weekend and we are happy to report that we were able to raise roughly around Php 15,000--just by selling stuff that we really don't need anymore. We plan to do this every weekend and we need more stuff to sell. So if you have clothes, shoes, accessories, kitchenware, or anything you want to donate, feel free to drop the items at my house in Mandaluyong. I can also offer to pick it up at your place, if ever. Just let me know.
Please support our endeavors. With your generosity, you can help another boy's life be normal again. Cancer is, indeed, such a scary word. But with faith in God and in others, it makes us stronger and fearless than ever before.